Complaints Questions

How do I make a complaint?

To file a formal complaint, you must complete the Complaints Information Form. This form, along with further information about the Complaints process, can be found on our Complaints information page. Please note that the College is unable to receive complaints over the phone, email or by fax, as original signatures are required.

Can I be sued for making a complaint?

If you choose to distribute your complaint to others, that may be considered libel which may legally put you at risk.

Will the doctor know that I am making a complaint?

Yes, the naturopathic doctor will receive a copy of your written complaint.

Will I receive a cash settlement if my complaint is justified?

No. If you are seeking financial compensation, you should seek advice from a lawyer regarding a civil suit..

How long does the Complaints process take?

Reviewing a complaint may take several months to years, depending on the intricacy of the complaint and the length of investigation.

What are the possible outcomes of a complaint?

There are several possible outcomes after a complaint is investigated by the Complaints Director.

  • The complaint may be dismissed by the Complaints Director if evidence does not support the complaint or there was insufficient evidence to proceed. 
  • The matter may be resolved with consent. The complainant consents to the College working with the naturopathic doctor to make necessary practice changes.
  • The complaint may be referred to a formal hearing, which may result in disciplinary action.  
How will I know that an investigation is complete?

Once the investigation is complete, the Complaints Director will notify you of the outcome after all the evidence has been gathered and submitted for review.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the Complaints Director's decision to dismiss a complaint?

Under the Health Professions Act (Section 68), as the complainant, you may seek a review of the dismissal to the Hearings Director within 30 days of receiving the notice of dismissal.

What if I am not satisfied with outcome, after the hearing tribunal's decision?

An investigated person or the Complaints Director may appeal to the Council of the decision of the Hearing Tribunal within 30 days of receiving notice of the Hearing Tribunal's decision.

What if I am not satisfied with outcome, after Council's decision to accept the hearing tribunal's decision?

Pursuant to Section 90 of the Health Professions Act an investigated person may appeal and finding, order or direction of the council made upon considering an appeal of the Hearing Tribunal's decision. Appeals to the Court of Appeal made under this section must be made within 30 days from the date on which the decision of the council is given to the investigated person.:

What if I am not satisfied with outcome, after the appeals process?

If you have a question or concern about the fairness of how your concern was handled, you may contact the Alberta Ombudsman Office at:

The Alberta Ombudsman
2800, 10303 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 5C3

What information can about a complaint or investigation can be made public?

The Health Professions Act states that once a matter has been referred to a hearing, the hearing itself, as well as the outcome, may be made public. While the matter is still in the complaints or investigation process, the College cannot disclose any information or comment on ongoing investigations or complaints.